Believe it or not, it is already the end of December and the new year is here. Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers for another successful year. We’d like to reflect over what has happened around the art center this past year. Twenty-sixteen was another great year of exhibitions, events, fundraisers, workshops, and classes! Here’s a recap:
- The Glass Matrix, which exhibited in January was a beautiful show of fine glass work featuring Brent Kee Young and The Cleveland Connection along with several other artists. We enjoyed having this display at the center, which exhibited through the first week of March.
- By March’s end, we hosted our annual Regional High School Art Exhibition. This was an incredible collection of art and design, featuring talent from many high school students of the region. The attendance for this continues to grow each year and offers students an opportunity to showcase their creative ability within the local Mansfield area.
- With the month of May marked the return of Nathan Sawaya’s Art of the Brick®. This display of sculptures created entirely from LEGO® bricks was on display through August. During which time the center saw a remarkable turnout in attendance, with visitors from all over the globe. Locally, we had over 650 students who visited, a total of about 20 field trip groups in all. It was sponsored by Ohio Health, who also generously donated the interactive activity tent for our young LEGO® brick builders! For more information, please visit the Nathan Sawaya website.
- The 71st Annual May Show took place, but began in September and was a great success, lasting through October 23rd. The Best of Show Award went to Jodi Knoch for “Watching Them” and many other artists received awards for their outstanding work. Awards were kindly donated by several sponsors, as follows: Mechanics Bank, Margaret Twitchell Swank Award, Susan B. Smith Award, Sid Yellen Award, Whitten Studios and Blick Art Materials.
- As year-end approached, our 47th Annual Holiday Fair opened in November, with a showcase of fine art and functional craft from local artists. With that came our Soup au Fair, where, for a couple of weeks, homemade soup was served during the lunch hour and at the same time as the Holiday Fair.
Events & Classes
There were special events held at the Mansfield Art Center in 2016, as well as a nice range of educational classes and workshops for adults, families and children.
- In September a new sculpture was installed on the grounds to our entrance. This sculpture was a very special project, as children who attended a series of MAC workshops designed it. Then, three area architects fabricated it into a 15-foot aluminum sculpture. Together, volunteers, the architects, staff members and two of the young students and their parents helped to put the sculpture in place.
- Our Veteran’s Art Group continued with great success. We will continue to offer this free art group to anyone who has served in the Military, including all branches of service.
- We hosted a CACY (Community Action for Capable Youth) fundraiser event in September. This special Cork & Easel event was a success for the non-profit, CACY, and we hope to host more fundraising events for them in the future.
- The Mansfield Art Center participated in the annual Richland Gives fundraiser, which is a virtual fundraising event that happens on Giving Tuesday. Thank you to all who participated in this event, and helped to raise money for the center by generously donating via the Richland Gives Razoo website.
- Our first annual Soup-A-Bowl fundraiser and its sister event, Decorate-A-Bowl, were a success and we look forward to these events next year. During Decorate-A-Bowl workshops, ceramic bowls are painted and then left at the center to be fired. The bowls are supplied for this free event and anyone is welcome to sign up and join in the painting fun. At a later date, the bowls are then used to serve homemade soup from our Soup-A-Bowl fundraiser event.
Whew! What a year. Now, looking forward to 2017, here is a little sneak preview of what is in store for you at the Mansfield Art Center!
- Save the date for “The Glow of Paris,” a collection of black and white photographs by photographer Gary Zuercher! This show starts the 21st of January and will exhibit until February 27th. You will not want to miss this beautiful series of photographs taken of Paris bridges over the Seine. These photographs capture the lure of this romantic city with Zuercher’s artful eye and skill of night-time photography, taken with slow exposer and at just the right moment to portray the lights, or glow, of Paris at night. The photos were shot with 35mm film and Zuercher developed each one himself and used no form of digital influence. Originally from Wooster, Ohio, he spends half of the year living in Paris, France and half in Washington D.C.
- We are very proud of our Regional High School Art Exhibition. This annual tradition showcases the talent of our region’s participating High Schools. A juried exhibition between multiple area schools displays works in all media and is sponsored by Cleveland Financial Group. We look forward to this event beginning March 18 and runs through April 15. This is a wonderful experience of expression and talent from youth of our region.
- The 72nd Annual May Show is a juried exhibition open to all Ohio artists and takes place in 2017 from May 6 through June 4. A new juror is selected every year by our exhibition committee, and is solely responsible for the selection of this exhibition. A prospectus will be made available to artists several months in advance, so please watch our website for our Call for Artists if you are interested in showing your work.
- From June 17 through July 23 we will exhibit “Outsider Art/The Thomas Wagner Collection.” Please plan to join Thomas Wagner here at the Mansfield Art Center for Opening Reception on June 17 at 7:00pm. More information will be published on our website in the near future.
- TBA – August 12th through September 10th is set for another great exhibition. We will keep you posted, or you can watch for the upcoming information on this website.
- Beginning September 23rd and through October 29th, Mountain Tea Studios – Mark Flowers, Kristy Higby, & The Other Brother will exhibit. More information will be available on our website soon.
- And for November-December 2017, we will have our annual Holiday Fair and Soup au Fair events!
Events & Classes
- Our educational classes will resume beginning January 16 and we have something for everyone available. Our youth classes include paper mache sculptures, clay, ceramics, Mommy & Me Art and Home School Art. We’ll have puppetry and sewing workshops and again we offer Kids & Canvas.
- Family Art Night and Free Art Saturdays are fun for the whole family and we have several scheduled for the coming year.
- Cork & Easel events are on schedule for twice monthly. Our other adult classes that will be offered include glass fusion, wheel-throwing, drawing, jewelry making, pottery and painting. Check out more on this website for detailed information.
There you have it, this article has come full circle with information on Mansfield Art Center’s events from 2016, although, by no means is this an all-inclusive list. Thank you for helping to make this past year a rewarding one for us and we wish you all a very happy and prosperous 2017.
Happy New Year!
The Mansfield Art Center